Panasonic has announced the release of two new adventure camcorders. Unveiled Monday morning at CES, the Active Style HX-WA03 and the HX-A100 are intended for consumers with active, outdoor lifestyles: Both are waterproof and include HD quality video, and both are designed according to the mobile needs of the user.
The HX-WA03 can withstand water depths of 16 feet for up to 60 minutes, and features a “trigger-like” ergonomic design. Panasonic is pitching the cam, which also has a cold tolerance of 14 degrees Fahrenheit, as ideal for rugged outdoor activities, such as diving, rock-climbing, or hiking. It is a "tougher" addition to its WA- series of extreme outdoor camcorders.
• Full-HD videos and 16 MP stills from an 11.9-megapixel MOS sensor (through interpolation, presumably)
• Nine creative filters: Old Movie, One Point Color, Fish-eye Effect, HDR Paint, Soft Skin, Monochrome, Sepia, Vivid, and Soft
• 18x zoom with Active Digital Image Stabilizer
• Eye-Fi compatibility
The helmet-less HX-A100 is a wearable adventure cam that is also intended for outdoor activities, but not quite as extreme as the HX-WA03. It’s only waterproof up to 5 feet for 30 minutes, for example, but it includes a range of extra connectivity features and controls. Whereas the HX-WA03 is designed for extreme sports and outdoor activity, the HW-A100 seems to have an eye for interactivity: The built-in WiFi allows users to live broadcast their videos or upload images to the social web.
• 140 minutes of battery life
• f/2.5 bright lens, 1/4.1" BSI Sensor, and Advanced Image Processing LSI
• Image Stabilizer and automatic correction of image tilting
• Slow motion video in HD
• Recording formats: 1920 x 1080/60 fps, 1280 x 720/120 fps, 640 x 360/240 fps
• Wind Noise Cut function
Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.
Be in the know! Get Reviewed.com news and reviews straight to your inbox.
Thanks for signing up!